Tomorrow is my birthday and I plan to celebrate with some shopping, relaxing and a milkshake. Tim’s birthday was last month and we spent it at the Powerscourt Ritz Carleton outside of Dublin enjoying a five star meal at Gordan Ramsey but for my birthday Tim’s taking me to Cook-Out Burgers. Don’t worry– I’m not mad. It was my idea after I saw a sign on the side of their building that says they offer 40 milkshakes. I’m already a little nervous about having to choose just one flavor!
Anyway, when my birthday comes around I always like to take some time to reflect on the past 365 days. (Here’s last year’s for instance.) Here are some of the highlights of 32:
- I enjoyed seeing my byline in more magazines than ever before including about half a dozen times in REDBOOK.
- I opened the Wall Street Journal on June 15, 2011 to see huge color photos of my friends and I along with a write-up about our Traveling Journal.
- In early July I spent several days in Atlanta promoting authors at the International Christian Retail Show. I also got to visit CNN and see fellow Iowa State alum Jacqui Jeras.
- On July 18 I found myself sitting on the set of The Today Show with my best friends talking about the Traveling Journal.
- I spent the first two weeks of August in Liberia, Africa helping to drill wells in remote villages and share Christ with Muslims.
- I spent the last two weeks of August enjoying time with visiting relatives from Northern Ireland. We had a fun trip to Atlanta where we bumped into Whitney Eve Port from The City.
- My sister came to visit and we had an amazing time which included a trip to the Old Edward’s Spa– amazing!
- I helped plan and organize the Reality Check event, benefiting Water of Life. We raised a couple of thousand dollars to help drill wells in Third World countries.
- We spent Thanksgiving in Florida with Tim’s parents and got to see some of my friends.
- For Christmas we headed to Seattle for an extended visit. Tim and I went skiing, shopping and site seeing.
- In January we found out we were expecting!
- Tim and I did several weekend getaways for a magazine including a resort in the Georgia mountains, The Grove Park Inn in Asheville, and the Opryland in Nashville. All of them were so fun and full of special memories. We also got a behind-the-scenes tour of Dave Ramsey’s headquarters which was a highlight.
- In April we went to Northern Ireland for a 10 day trip that included amazing sites and some of the best food we’ve ever had. Plus we got to spend time with our family.
- We found out that our baby is a boy and we named him Sam!
When I see it all written out like that it’s hard to believe that I will ever have a year quite as unique and memorable,
but then again, I am about to have my first child so that will be full of its own adventures and memories.
The older I get the more I realize that every year is special in its own way. There really doesn’t have to be a time designated as “the best years of your life” because each year has the potential to hold something remarkable. You just have to be willing to welcome new opportunities and often that means spending a lot of time outside your comfort zone. So here’s to 33– I’ll be toasting it with a milkshake!